Friday, July 10, 2009

choco-hater



Ever since I can remember, I didn't like chocolate. Hate the smell, hate the taste... infact, eating it literally made me feel nauseous. There is no word to describe how much I disliked chocolate. I found it incredibly sinful, first of all, to the female race, to be synonymous with: ONE - "time of the month", used to imply that I am bitchy just because I contain the power to bring life into the world. Maybe you just suck and need to stay out of my way. TWO - chocoholicism. Just because I am a woman doesn't mean that being the dumpee or the dumper will cause me to go on a chocolate binge and gain fifty pounds, which in turn will cause depression and additional consumption of chocolate to contribute to the initial cause of weight gain. It irritates me even more that my reproductive system and chocolate somehow correlate with each other according to the media overloaded world in which we currently live.
The point of this, you're wondering, is that all of the past tenses that I used to describe the way chocolate affects me have been replaced on a happier note. I went to a delicious restaurant with my sister, who, by the way, happens to be just as enthused as I am. Anywho... we go to this restaurant and have a lovely meal. Compliments to the chef. In a comfortable and beautiful little nook is a restaurant in which the ambiance and the excellent service meet at the dinner table with the most exquisite and decadent food I have had in a great while. The meal took my breath away, and just when I thought it couldn't get any better we ordered the desert. The often dreamed of but rarely eaten desert that frequent foodies drool over before ordering their appetizers and entrees but rarely ever get to partake of. The food is prefectly portioned to be able to bask in the radiance of the acquaintance we know as desert. So, skeptical about this non-flour chocolatey desert arrives. The plate is stunning. A rustic slice of chocolate cake and sliced strawberry complimented with beautiful swirls of rasberry prefection and powdered sugar. Picture, taken. Fork, in-hand. Bite, devoured. Love, found.
As I gazed into the chocolate wonder that I had now became infatuated with, I understood the love that people know as chocolate. Every evil opinion I had, all the disgust I ever felt, gone... in an instant. The hatred for the media's opinion of women and chocolate completely understood. Don't eat the chocolate to bask in misfortune. Eat the chocolate to lose yourself in the wonderful flavor we know as cocoa. Love is real and can be ordered. Have your cake world and eat it too. And if you can't finish it, pass it my way.

Isabel's Cantina [San Diego, California] Flourless Chocolate Cake, $8